Godwin Barton: Your Presence
Past The Wall of Tears .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>
Past The Wall of Tears
Wednesday, December 02, 2009
 
I Just Want to be a Writer!







Greetings!

I just want to be a writer...the deepest and most profound thoughts of my heart, mind, spirit, soul, and body; the feeling and emotion that swept through me as a mighty rushing wind as I walked along the banks of the river that separates New Vilnius from Old Town. Tears streaming down my face in absolute gratitude as I looked to the clear blue sky with hands raised in victory and praise, semi-shouting, with cracking and crying voice, "Thank you! Thank you Father! Thank you! I only want to be a writer! To be known and recognized as a writer! Thank you!" I continued walking, weeping joyfully and thankfully, swept away in a whirlwind of gratitude. Walking back toward Old Town after picking up every newspaper that I could find, eighteen in all, having been told by our director after a morning workshop: "Godwin. You'd better go and grab the newspaper. You're a local celebrity. Your picture is in the paper, actually, more than once." I quickly ran over to him as he showed me the story and the photos. I peered excitedly and then ran. Having had dinner at what had become one of my favorite stops- Fortas Restaurant: elegant, stylish, classy, and affordable. The food, fit for kings and queens and excellently presented, I sought the assistance of a waitress. "Excuse me. Do you speak English?" "Yes. A little bit." I replied, "Good. A little bit is all I need." Reaching for the newspaper which was entirely in Lithuanian, I asked, "Can you interpret this for me, please?"

I began by explaining to her who I was and why I was in Vilnius. A local newspaper had gotten word about the two week literary event being held at the Institute of Vilnius University and the many world renown authors and poets that were in attendance, also, the many participants that had come from Canada, the US, Africa, and Europe- seventy plus in all. They sent a reporter and a photographer. They appeared at an evening reading that was going to feature some famous Lithuanian and American writers. Myself, being the social butterfly that I am, noticed the reporter and photographer and approached them.

Walking toward the one holding the note pad as she was scribbling away, I smiled and said, "Hi! How are you?" She smiled back as she spoke perfect English, "I am well. And how are you?" "Very well, thank you." Looking directly at me she asked me if I was an instructor or a participant. "I'm a participant." She then asked, "What is your name and where are you from?" Her questions then came swiftly as she scribbled and scratched with each word that I spoke. In our exchange she learned that I had a web-site, a blog. As we talked there was the continuous sound of the camera shutter taking pictures it seemed a hundred shots a minute. The reporter, looking very delightfully at me with the most gratifying smile said, "You can look at the camera and smile!" Looking toward the camera I naturally smiled the biggest smile that I could find accompanied with light laughter. Her final question was, "Will you write about your experience in Lithuania on your blog? Specifically, about your experience in Vilnius?" I replied, "Yes, of course, when I find the time. To be quite truthful with you, the program is very, very structured and full, we're kept very busy. We've little time to do anything else during the day but all that is required to meet program requirements." I continued, as she listened very attentively, "I will, as soon as I can, up-date my blog and definitely write about Vilnius." She smiled very pleasantly as she thanked me for my time. The camera taking one last shot as I turned to walk away.

Opening the newspaper and showing the waitress my picture, pointing to the captioning beneath the picture, "Can you interpret this for me, please? I don't know what it says. Can you help me?" Looking at the photo and then to me, she exclaimed,"Oh!" Smiling a very excited and gracious smile, pausing a moment, and then again, "Oh!" as she looked at the photo and again at me. "Oh! That's you!" "Yes. That's me." She stood there smiling, staring into my eyes, her face graciously lit and elated, her eyes sparkling- one final time, "Oh!" I chuckled as her reaction sparked my spirit, "Please. I'm very, very flattered. I need your help. I don't know what this says. Can you interpret it for me- please?" "Yes. yes, of course." Reading it first to herself, she turns to me and says, questioning and with excitement, "You're a writer?!" "Yes. Yes I am." She smiles heartily as she reads:

"It says your name is G. H. Barton. That you are a writer from Vancouver. And that you write about Lithuania on your website."

I say, "Thank you," as she continues to stand before me, glowing. Her smile, face, and beauty...a sight to remember. Finally, after a few moments- she turns and continues her duties.

Note: Click on the image for a larger picture.

|
Comments: Post a Comment



Powered by Blogger